Skip to content

Punahou School – Oʻahu College

September 1, 2019

From the Images of Old Hawaii website

Off the Punahou School website

Over the course of a little over 40-years (1820-1863 – the “Missionary Period”,) about 180-men and women in twelve Companies served in Hawaiʻi to carry out the mission of the ABCFM in the Hawaiian Islands. However, the education of their children was a concern of missionaries. On July 11, 1842, fifteen children met for the first time in Punahou’s original E-shaped building. 

By the end of that first year, 34-children from Sandwich Islands and Oregon missions were enrolled, only one over 12-years old. By 1851, Punahou officially opened its doors to all races and religions.

Continue reading

From → History

Comments are closed.