Skip to content

When a Retiree Passes Away

April 8, 2013

Updated Post: Webmaster Comments: 17.07.06

When a retiree passes away, the surviving spouse, or children are often unsure about what they should do in regard to the military retiree’s pay and benefits.  A retiree should create a list of names and phone numbers that need to be contacted when he or she dies and inform the spouse and family members as to what is on the list and where to find it.  This list should include the following:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS), Retired and Annuity Pay Center: 1-800-321-1080 to stop retired pay, apply for Survivor Benefits, and obtain information about insurance and other allotments

Social Security Administration: 1-800-772-1213 to discuss Social Security Survivor benefits

Veterans Administration: 1-800-827-1000 for Disability Pay and burial assistance and/or applying for Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DICE) for the surviving spouse

Office of Personnel Management: 1-888-767-6738 for retirees who are receiving civil service pensions in addition to military retired pay

Comments are closed.