Skip to content

When a Retiree Passes Away

When a retiree passes away, the surviving spouse, or children are often unsure about what they should do in regard to the military retiree’s pay and benefits.  A retiree should create a list of names and phone numbers that need to be contacted when he or she dies and inform the spouse and family members as to what is on the list and where to find it. This list should include the following:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) 1-800-321-1080

Call the Retired and Annuity Pay Center to stop retired pay, apply for Survivor Benefits, and obtain information about insurance and other allotments. More information:

Social Security Administration: 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

By calling 1-800-772-1213, you can use our automated telephone services to get recorded information and conduct some business 24 hours a day. If you cannot handle your business through our automated services, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. More information:

Department of Veterans Affairs: 1-800-827-1000

For Disability Pay and burial assistance and/or applying for Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DICE) for the surviving spouse. More information:

Office of Personnel Management: 1-888-767-6738

For retirees who are receiving civil service pensions in addition to military retired pay. More information:

Employees Retirement System of the State of Hawaii: 1-808-586-1735

Call Employees Retirement System (ERS) if the deceased was receiving a state pension (retiree or survivor). Be prepared to provide the name and Social Security number, date of death and the name, address and phone number of surviving spouse, next of kin or contact person. The deceased would receive the pension in the month of death before payments cease. ERS will send the beneficiary information explaining death benefits as well as the required forms to complete. More information

Hawaii Employer-Union Health Benefits Trust Fund: 1-808-586-7390

Contact the Hawaii Employer-Union Health Benefits Trust Fund (EUTF), if the deceased was enrolled in health benefits through the state EUTF. More information (7/20/2012, page 14 and 15)