Skip to content

Check Six: Red Hill Underground

July 15, 2016

From the Images of Old Hawaii website

click on photograph to enlarge

click on photograph to enlarge

Originally Top Secret, Red Hill’s hidden facility became generally known in the early-1990s, when the facility was declassified.

Prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor all of the Navy’s fuel was stored in unprotected above ground tanks at Pearl Harbor, next to the submarine base.

When RADM Chester Nimitz was Commander of the Bureau of Yards & Docks (in 1940) he wanted the Navy’s 2 ½-year supply of fuel oil protected from aerial attack – existing above ground unprotected tanks next to the Submarine Base presented a vulnerable enemy target.

Continue reading

From → History

Comments are closed.