Skip to content

Check Six: Battery 406

September 17, 2016

From the Images of Old Hawaii website

US military first established a presence on the Mokapu peninsula in the windward O‘ahu district of Koʻolaupoko in 1918, when President Woodrow Wilson signed an executive order establishing Fort Kuwaʻaohe Military Reservation on 322-acres on the northeast side of Mokapu.

The army was responsible for the seacoast defense of Naval Air Station Kaneohe Bay, commissioned in 1939 on the Mokapu Peninsula. The Army stayed there until August 1940 when the Navy decided to acquire all of Mokapu Peninsula to expand Naval Air Station Kaneʻohe.

Continue reading

From → History

Comments are closed.