Skip to content

Check Six: E Troop, 19th Cavalry

June 15, 2018

The following was copied from the Wikipedia for history:

Troopers from the HARNG’s Troop E 19th Cavalry: John Tripoli, Roland Gambol, Paul Mauricio, and George Cristobal

The 19th Cavalry was constituted on 24 October 1967 in the Hawaii Army National Guard as a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System(CARS). It was organized and Federally recognized on 17 December 1967 at Wahiawa to consist of Troop E, part of the 29th Infantry Brigade.[2] During the Vietnam War in May 1968, the 29th Brigade was mobilized for active Federal service to serve as the strategic reserve for United States Army Pacific.[3] Troop E was ordered into active Federal service on 13 May 1968 at Wahiawa, under the command of Captain Kazumasa Ota.[4] The troop spent its active service period training at Schofield Barracks, and was also equipped with the M114A1 armored fighting vehicle at the time.[5] In June, the troop received ten M551 Sheridan tanks, the first time the Sheridan was sent outside of the continental United States.[6][7] It was released from active service and reverted to state control on 12 December 1969.[8]

A left side view of an AH-1 Cobra helicopter, front, and an OH-58 Kiowa helicopter flying in formation during Exercise OPPORTUNE JOURNEY 85-3. Both helicopters are from the 19th Air Cavalry, Hawaii Army National Guard.

In 1974, the troop became the first Guard unit to receive the Bell AH-1 Huey Cobra attack helicopter and was redesignated Troop E (Air).[9] It spent its two-week annual training period in August 1980 at the Pohakuloa Training Area alongside troops of the 25th Infantry Division.[10] Around January 1984, the troop received nine AH-1S Cobra helicopters, replacing the older Cobras.[11][12] Between November 1984 and October 1986, it was commanded by Captain (later Major) Gary M. Hara, who later became deputy commanding general of United States Army Pacific.[13] On 31 July 1986, one of the troop’s Bell OH-58A Kiowa helicopters crashed, slightly injuring the pilot and aerial observer.[14] On 1 June 1989, it was withdrawn from CARS and reorganized under United States Army Regimental System (USARS) with headquarters at Fort Ruger.[8] The regiment was disbanded in 1995 around when its last lineage document was written.[1]

Special thanks to Lloyd Kurashima for submitting this article and the photographs

From → History

Comments are closed.