Skip to content

Check Six: Area 65 HIANG’s First Home on Hickam Field – 70 years ago

September 11, 2018

– Hawaii Air National Guard photo.   click on photograph to enlarge

Shortly after receiving Federal Recognition in November 1946, the 199th Fighter Squadron and it’s support units moved to Area 65 on then-Hickam Field. The flying unit remained in this location until February 1962 when the current location, Building 3400, near Hickam Harbor was opened.

In the photograph, the squadron’s P-47 Thunderbolts are on the tarmac. The two giant hanger shown in this photograph remain in use.


This photograph is from the HANG 25 Booklet, the history of the Hawaii Air National Guard, November 4, 1946 to November 3, 1971. Special thanks to Steve Lum who scanned this photograph.

From → History

Comments are closed.