Skip to content

Check Six: The Pineapple Pentagon

March 21, 2020

From the Images of Old Hawaii website

Palm Circle Fort Shafter

Construction started in 1905 at what was first called Kahauiki Military Reservation. It was later named Fort Shafter and was Hawaiʻi’s first permanent US military installation. (Camp McKinley remained in existence until Fort Shafter was opened.)

It was named in honor of Major General William R. Shafter (1835-1906,) a Civil War and Spanish-American War veteran and commanding general of the headquarters for Hawaiʻi, then in California, until 1901. (Until 1913, the Army establishments in Hawaiʻi were under the Department of California.)

Learn more

From → History

Comments are closed.