Skip to content

Check Six – 1950: Jug Maintenance Crew

September 16, 2021
Hawaii Air National Guard photograph – click to enlarge

The 199th Fighter Squadron received their Federal Recognition on November 4, 1946. The first aircraft received was B-26C Marauder #433 on March 19, 1947. By the end of the fiscal year, nine aircraft had been delivered to the fledgling air units:

4- Martin B-26 Marauders

2 – North American AT-6 Texans

1 – Curtiss C-46 Commando

2 – Stinson L-5 Sentinels 

On October 6, 1947, the 199th Fighter Squadron received it’s first Republic Aviation Corporation F-47N Thunderbolt #529. Initially, maintenance crews were part of the Detachment C, 199th Air Service Group (Ftr), then later then 154th Material Squadron (154 MATRON)(Maintenance).

Learn more about the F-47N Thunderbolts The F-47s were affectionately called “Jugs”.

From → History

Comments are closed.