Skip to content

DFAS is only place to issue your 1099-R

February 1, 2015

DFAS logo

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service is the only agency that can issue a 1099-R for tax form to retirees and annuitants. Retirees and annuitants should receive a 1099-R electronically via myPay or as a paper copy in the mail each year.

People relying on a paper copy who have not received their 1099-R by the end of January each year can call DFAS at 800-321-1080 and use the self-service request option. Telephone self-service requests are logged instantly and are sent to a person’s current address of record within three business days.

A written request by fax or mail takes time. It may take DFAS representatives 30 to 60 days to process requests received by fax or mail.

Those retirees and annuitants with Internet access — but not a myPay account — can use the “Ask DFAS” option. This option allows people to update a mailing address, enter an email address and request a 1099-R. The transaction will be logged instantly and it will be in the mail within seven to 10 business days.

Regardless of how a person receives his or her annual 1099-R, it is vital that DFAS has a current mailing address on file for each retiree and annuitant at all times. (Courtesy of DFAS website)

Taken from the Spring/Summer 2014 issue of Afterburner, the e-newsletter for USAF retired personnel

From → Benefits

Comments are closed.