Skip to content

Check Six: Deuces on the Flightline 1962 – 56 years ago

September 18, 2018

click on photograph to enlarge

This photograph taken in 1952, shows the Hawaii Air National Guard’s F-102A Delta Daggers on the flightline. The then-154th Fighter Interceptor Group (154 FIG) had just completed the conversion from F-86 Sabres. Note that the Deuces have “Hawaii Air Guard” markings. Several years later, the fighters were painted with standard “U.S. Air Force” markings.

Two of the planes in the foreground are in the old radar docks. The docks were converted to maintenance shops and office space in the 1990s.

Missing from the photograph is the earthen berm that surrounded the flightline area. According to some retirees, the berm was erected in the 1964/65 time period and was removed during the latter part of the F-15 Eagle era.

The fighters on the flightline are parked facing the hanger, Building 3400. This is one of several parking configurations used over the years through the F-102, F-4 Phantom and F-15 Eagle eras. But that’s another story that needs more research for a future post.


This photograph is from the HANG 25 Booklet, the history of the Hawaii Air National Guard, November 4, 1946 to November 3, 1971. Special thanks to Steve Lum who scanned this photograph.

From → History

Comments are closed.