Skip to content

Check Six: HIANG F-47s – 55+ years ago

November 28, 2018

Hawaii Air National Guard photograph | click to enlarge

This photograph shows a F-47 Thunderbolt with Territory of Hawaii markings. The 199th Fighter Squadron flew the F-47N Thunderbolt, from the organization’s inception in 1947 to 1954. Originally known as the P-47 (P for Pursuit), the aircraft were redesignated F-47 shortly after the end of World War II.


Discovery Channel – Great Planes – Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt was a World War II era fighter aircraft produced by the United States between 1941–1945. Its primary armament was eight .50-caliber machine guns and in the fighter-bomber ground-attack role it could carry five-inch rockets or a bomb load of 2,500 pounds (1,103 kg). When fully loaded the P-47 weighed up to eight tons making it one of the heaviest fighters of the war. The P-47 was designed around the powerful Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp engine which was also used by two U.S. Navy fighters, the Grumman F6F Hellcat and the Vought F4U Corsair. The Thunderbolt was effective as a short-to-medium range escort fighter in high-altitude air-to-air combat and ground attack in both the World War II European and Pacific theaters.

The P-47 was one of the main United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) fighters of World War II, and served with Allied air forces including France, Britain, and Russia. Mexican and Brazilian squadrons fighting alongside the U.S. were equipped with the P-47.

The armored cockpit was relatively roomy and comfortable, offering good visibility. A modern-day U.S. ground-attack aircraft, the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II, takes its name from the P-47. (Discovery Channel)

Watch the Discovery Channel video

From → History

Comments are closed.