Skip to content

Check Six: Hickam Field Dedicated – 84 years ago

May 31, 2019

From the Images of Old Hawaii website

The photograph shows Hickam and surrounding areas in October, 1941 | click on the photograph to enlarge

In Hawaiʻi, the US Army built Luke Field on Ford Island (constructed in 1917) by 1928, they recognized the benefit of an expanded air presence, including in Hawaiʻi, and they began looking for a new site for modernizing the national defenses here.

Site selection narrowed to about 2,200-acres of land bordered by Pearl Harbor channel on the west, Pearl Harbor Naval Reservation on the north, John Rodgers airport on the east and Fort Kamehameha on the south.

The land was acquired from Bishop, Damon and Queen Emma Estates and on May 31, 1935 Hickam Air Field was dedicated (it was named in honor of Lt. Col. Horace Meek Hickam, a distinguished aviation pioneer who was killed in an aircraft accident on November 5, 1934, at Fort Crockett in Galveston, Texas.

Continue reading

From → History

Comments are closed.