Skip to content

How to apply for or renew a U.S. passport

June 8, 2019

From the AAA-Hawaii website

First-time applicants

You must apply in person at an authorized Passport Application Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency if any of the following apply to you:

– You are applying for your first U.S. passport

– You are under age 16

– Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16

– Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged

– Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

– Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change

First-time applicants will need to bring these items and documents:

– A completed passport application (DS-11: Application For a U.S. Passport)

– Evidence of U.S. citizenship (see what can be used)

– Proof of identity (see what can be used)

– A photocopy of presented documents

– One passport photo (photo requirements)

– A form of payment for the passport fee (fee calculator)

For more information, such as what qualifies as evidence of U.S. citizenship and the required dimensions for passport photos, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Passport renewals

Your expired or soon-to-expire U.S. passport can be renewed by mail if it meets all the following requirements:

– It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application

– It was issued when you were age 16 or older

– It was issued within the last 15 years

– It is an original or certified copy

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must renew in person at an authorized Passport Application Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency.

If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail:

– Fill out Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail

– Submit your most recent U.S. passport book and/or card

– If your name has changed, submit a certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order

– Pay the applicable fee

– Provide one passport photo (photo requirements)

– Mail in the application

For more information, such as where to mail your passport renewal materials in each state, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

From → Benefits

Comments are closed.