Skip to content

How to Replace a Dependent ID Card After the Retiree Dies

March 16, 2020

From the website

My mom is 91-years-old, and she has lost her military dependent ID card. My dad was a Navy military retiree, but he died two months ago. I have Dad’s old ID, but now need to replace Mom’s ID. What do I need to do?

ID card rules and navigating the system can seem really tricky. Military identification cards are really easy to lose and very difficult to replace. But since they are required for everything from getting on base, to checking out at the commissary, to accessing medical benefits through TRICARE, having one on hand is important.

Fortunately, replacing a lost military retiree ID card for a dependent is not impossible.

According to Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) support office, you can replace your mom’s ID card even after your retiree father’s death. Here is how:

Make an appointment with a local ID card office. You can use this locator to help you find your nearest Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) ID card office. Remember: If the office is on a military base and you are not a military ID card holder, you may need to get a visitor pass for both you and your mom.

Call the DEERS support line to make sure your father’s death is updated in the system. Since your father passed, your mom will now receive a survivor ID card that does not expire. While his death should be updated in their system, calling to make sure is a good idea. You can reach them at: 1-800-538-9552.

Get the new ID. Bring your mom and two forms of ID (one of which must be government issued such as a driver’s license or a passport) to the appointment. You can also bring a copy of your father’s death certificate just in case.

Is your mom unable to make the trip? Make a phone call to your nearest RAPIDS office. Since options for replacing the ID without your mother present may differ location to location, they will be best able to tell you what to do.

From → Benefits

Comments are closed.