Skip to content

Check Six: Diamond Head – 98 years ago

September 21, 2019
To enlarge, right click and then click on “Open Image in New Window”

This photograph was taken on June 23, 1921 by the 5th Group (Observation). Although not seen in the photograph, there was military activity around the crater in an area know as Fort Ruger.

Fort Ruger is a fort on the island of Oʻahu that served as the first military reservation in the Territory of Hawaii. Named after Civil War General Thomas H. Ruger and built in and around Diamond Head Crater, the fort was established by the United States for the purpose of defending the harbor of its newly annexed territory. The fort was established in 1906 as Diamond Head Reservation and renamed Fort Ruger in 1909.


The 5th Operations Group’s history dates back more than eight decades to the infancy of military aviation. It originally activated as the 2nd Group (Observation) 15 August 1919, at Luke Field in the Territory of Hawaii. In 1921, the group was redesignated the 5th Group (Observation). A year later, it became the 5th Group (Pursuit and Bombardment) with its crews flying DeHaviland DH-4 aircraft. (Wikipedia)

From → History

Comments are closed.