Skip to content

Check Six: 199 FS Patch & Kurt Johnson – 58 years ago

June 15, 2020

This is the organization emblem graced the wall in the stairwell to the 199th Fighter Squadron in the then-new Hickam hanger. Although undated, this photograph was probably taken in early 1962. Construction of the new hanger (Building 3400) ended on November 6, 1961 and the dedication was held on February 17, 1962.

The photograph shows the originator and designer, Maj Kurt Johnson, briefing Capt Melvin Yen about the construction of the wall mounted sculpture. Johnson spent over 40 hours constructing the brass, steel, copper and enamel mosaic. The red, yellow, black and gold design is worth $1,000.  

This photograph was taken by Ignacio Gabriel, who served as the unit photographer. Gabe later became as the training NCOIC in the 154th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron.


199th Fighter Squadron Emblem

Blazon: On an Air Force golden yellow Hawaiian shield, oval and pointed at the extremities, and bordered black, a stylized Hawaiian idol black, eyes, nose. mouth and markings voided of the field, malo red, above four shock waves radiating from middle base point upward flanking the idol, two on either side, red and black.

Significance: The Hawaiian shield, representing defense, bears a stylized Hawaiian idol as the combat symbol of this squadron. The emblem carries on the historical tradition and spirit of the former emblem as it retains a similar color scheme as well as Hawaiian idol design. The red and black shock waves adapt the design to modern concepts. The red, black, and cello colors are traditionally used for. the feather capes and helmets which the Hawaiian kings and chiefs of old wore in battle.

The emblem was designed by Captain Kurt E. Johnson and updated the earlier 199th Fighter Squadron (SE) emblem approved October 11, 1951. This emblem was approved on September. 18, 1961

From → History

Comments are closed.