Skip to content

Check Six – Late 1940s: Red Ball

February 19, 2021
Hawaii Air National Guard photograph

The National Guard Bureau extended Federal Recognition to the Hawaii Air National Guard on November 4, 1946. Th initial operating location was Bellows AFB in Waimanalo.

The 199th Fighter Squadron and associated units relocated to Area 65 of Hickam AFB on May 6, 1947. Supply support included a truck designated the “Red Ball” which delivered parts directly to the flightline. Equipment was limited as this truck still had Navy markings. Unit startups always included a lot scrounged equipment and parts.

From → History

Comments are closed.