Skip to content

Check Six: Wheeler Field

May 12, 2020

From the Images of Old Hawaii website

Off the Hawaii Aviation Preservation Society website

On February 6, 1922, under the direction of 1st Lt William T Agee of the 4th Squadron (Observation,) construction began on the old 17th Cavalry drill grounds at Schofield Barracks in central Oʻahu. With 20 men, he started clearing away trees and undergrowth.

Within a month, they completed a landing strip. On November 11, 1922, it was named Wheeler Field in honor of Major Sheldon H Wheeler, former commander of Luke Field on Ford Island, who died in a plane crash on July 13, 1921.

Over the years, this Army airfield would be a point of several significant historical aviation events. 

Learn more

More photographs off the Hawaii Aviation Preservation Society website

From → History

Comments are closed.